Sunday 19 February 2017

Ëndërroja...

I was dreaming...

Hey, I haven't come around for a while, but I've been really busy lately as I started a new full-time job and I still try to sort out my time... which sadly is not dedicated as much to my Albanian learning as I would like. But today I got inspiration as I stumbled upon a really beautiful song I wanted to share...

(excuse me if the formatting still looks bad at some places, I tried to fix it to match, but Blogger hates me today :/)


Ëndërroja t'jem me ty dhe të ndërtoj një ardhmëri // I was dreaming that I'm with you and that I'm having a future
Fluturoja si një flutur por krahët mi theve ti // I was flying like a butterfly, but you broke my wings
S'kam më forcë as të them "kthehu përsëri"! // I don't have more strength even to say "come back again"!
(The whole translation by me is here... I feel like I have to practice my skills so I don't forget it sometimes, haha)

So today's topic of the discussion is one of the past tenses - imperfect. Which, in my opinion, is actually the easiest one as it's probably the only one that has only 3 irregulars - jamkam and them. I still have such a hard time trying to process all the different classes and subclasses of verbs in the other two past tenses in the indicative mood, and I actually found out that learning them one by one is probably the only way to do that. I like the imperfect as it's fairly straightforward, plus it forms the conditional "would" (do të + imperfect), which is used quite a lot too. The only peculiarity is that some verbs change stem, otherwise the endings are always ja, je, (n)te, nim, nit and nin for anything other than class 6 (reflexives). Regarding them, the endings are (h)esha, (h)eshe, (h)ej, (h)eshim, (h)eshit, (h)eshin. The n/h ones in the brackets are used only if the stem ends in a vowel - easy and straightforward, almost as nothing else in this language!

As a person, I love reading, I even found a children's book sometime ago in a second hand bookstore here, but I still don't feel confident enough to understand it mainly because the past tenses give me a headache. I feel the lack of good resources there, as it's always covered "for a bit" in the books, and always at the end, not giving you enough practice - probably if a higher level book existed, it would be amazing!

Talking about books, verb-wise I'd personally recommend "541 Albanian verbs" by Bruce Hintz and Rozeta Stefanllari - while it doesn't cover absolutely everything, it's still a good base and it has some of the most popular verbs for you to learn.

Probably I should have started with the present, but hey, I just like to discuss whatever impressed me in some way, or whatever I feel like sharing some knowledge about. There are many, many other things that I would love to write about, I hope I will have some more time in the near future.

Natën e mirë, shpresoj që të shkruajmë së shpejti!

1 comment:

  1. Unë kurrë nuk e dija se kisha një shans të madh për ta kthyer burrin tim derisa takova Dr. Ellen. Ishte shumë e vështirë për mua kur i dashuri më la për një grua tjetër. Isha i shkatërruar dhe nuk mund të shërohesha. Miqtë dhe familja e tij bënë gjithçka që mundën për të na bashkuar, por nuk funksionoi. Isha beqar për disa muaj dhe nuk mund ta shihja veten duke dashur dikë tjetër. Kështu që më duhej të kërkoja ndihmën e Dr. Ellen, e cila më dha privilegjin të sigurohesha që dëshirat e zemrës sime të realizoheshin. Na bashkoi, dashuria dhe lumturia u rikthyen. Fjalët e tij janë angazhimi i tij dhe ai nuk dorëzohet kurrë kur i premton dikujt një rezultat brenda 48 orëve, gjë që më befasoi kur doli rezultati im. Mos ngurroni të kërkoni ndihmë diku tjetër. Kontakto me të tani. Email-i i tij: ellenspellcaster@gmail.com ose WhatsApp: +2349074881619

    ReplyDelete