Wednesday 9 August 2017

Shqiptarët

The Albanians...

Hello and welcome to my newest blog post. Today, I'll try to answer everyone's most important question - where to find Albanians.

Say you've mastered enough grammar and vocabulary to roughly survive in Albania a few weeks (I'm talking about Albania only here, Kosovo is another story as their dialect is quite different). You know how to order a coffee, how to understand the menu and order in the restaurant, how to ask for directions to your hotel... but you have only that book knowledge, nothing else. Where on Earth could you find someone to practice with?

Now that is the hard part. Except the obvious answer (in Albania, Kosovo or the neighbouring countries), there are quite a lot Albanians living abroad and usually if you know one, you could meet the whole community in your city, if you want. If you're like me though (a girl living abroad alone without her family), that may be a bit risky, depends on the person in question (don't get me wrong, what I mean is that usually Albanians are very family-oriented and used to living with their parents, so the whole concept of you going abroad by yourself seems a bit awkward). I still have no answer as for why the guys form very wrong opinion of me (but I usually keep my strong card of knowledge hidden). But say you don't live in a "popular" country and you can't meet anyone, except by some chance.

Your second best option is to go on Facebook and join some learner groups. In that way you could a) keep your motivation to learn the language strong as you'll probably meet other learners and b) you could meet Albanians who would be willing to help you learn, or at least willing to answer any questions you may have at that point. If your language level is higher, you could try some Albanian groups in Albanian and try understanding what they talk about, plus they tend to describe good language points in them. Or you could even ask a question, being brave enough.

I have met quite a lot people in different language exchange places (like Interpals or HelloTalk), but I find it hard to find someone who is genuinely interested in practising (I usually offer help with English due to being fluent), and not in hitting on you, if you're a girl, especially one who learns a rare language. It's definitely not impossible, it just takes time and nerves to judge who is worth your time. Another very good option is to ask someone you know to introduce you to a friend of them - in my experience, friends of friends are always the better option, especially if you trust your friend in the first place. You could also try language exchange groups in your city, if there are such (like Meetup).

Now, don't get me wrong - I am the living proof of someone who loves the country and the culture, but has had very disappointing experiences in the past. But I've had very good ones too - so as everything, it really depends on the person in question. So good luck with your search, and I hope that I managed to give you a few ideas of how you could meet people to practice with too.

P.S. The first Albanian I met... it was very unexpected and in person. I've never thought that I'll end up here, knowing everything I learned by myself, writing a blog about it and battling the prejudices of people who think that I'm wasting my time instead of learning something "useful" like German or Spanish. I'm not ideal, but I achieved that level of knowledge using all resources I could find, and I even translate from/to Albanian in my free time (although my translations are still far from ideally fluent). Nothing is impossible if you really want it.

You just have to love what you do.

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I was glad to come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a privilege to share this miraculous testimony with the world. This is Beth Walters from England. My husband divorced me 4 months ago and I was full of remorse because I didn't know what to do to change my husband's problems. I searched the internet for help on how I could get help in my marriage and discovered wonderful witnesses to the wight love Spell that was progressive with its spells. I contacted him and Dr. Wight told me that he would prepare a spell for me to bring my husband back. I was skeptical, but I had no choice but to work with him. 2 days later, my husband called me to come home from that day and until now, I have lived peacefully. He returned now with so much love and care. today I am glad to announce to you all that this spell player has the power to bring back lovers and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now, every day is happiness and joy. and There is nothing like being with the man you love. I will recommend Dr.Wight to anyone who needs help. If you have any problems, contact Dr.Wight, I guarantee 100% that he will help you !!.
    Email: wightmagicmaster@gmail.com

    WhatsApp:+17168691327

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nuk mund ta besoja se do të ribashkohesha ndonjëherë me ish-dashnorin tim, isha aq i traumatizuar duke qëndruar vetëm pa trup që të qëndronte pranë meje dhe të ishte me mua, por isha aq me fat që një ditë të caktuar ta takova këtë magjistari i fuqishëm Dr Ediomo, pasi i tregoi atij për situatën time, ai bëri gjithçka që ishte e mundur për të parë që i dashuri im të kthehej tek unë, në të vërtetë pasi bëri magji, ish i dashuri im u kthye tek unë më pak se 48 orë, erdhi ish i dashuri im kthehu duke më lutur se nuk do të më lërë më kurrë, 3 muaj më vonë u fejuam dhe u martuam, nëse edhe ju jeni duke pasur të njëjtën situatë. Ai është shumë i fuqishëm në punët e tij;
    * magji dashurie
    * nëse doni që ish-i juaj të kthehet
    * Ndaloni divorcin
    *thyej obsesionet
    * shëron goditjet në tru dhe të gjitha sëmundjet
    * magji mbrojtjeje
    *infertiliteti dhe problemet e shtatzënisë
    Kontaktoni Dr Ediomo në emailin e tij: drediomo77@gmail.com
    faleminderit shumë zotëri që më ktheve tek unë ish-dashnorin tim, emailin e tij: drediomo77@gmail.com ose telefononi/whatsapp:+2349132180420
    +2348155926517

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Ellen e mrekullueshme, për të cilën të gjithë kanë folur në internet, më ka ndihmuar gjithashtu të pajtohem. Ai rivendosi marrëdhënien time të prishur dhe më ktheu ish të dashurin. Unë kam qenë zemërthyer për 6 muajt e fundit pasi i dashuri im u nda nga unë, por pasi pashë komentet në internet për Dr.Ellen, isha shumë skeptike ndaj tij siç isha në atë kohë. Ai më tha se çfarë duhej të mblidhja, bëri një magji pajtimi dhe pak para se të mbaronte, i dashuri im më telefonoi duke kërkuar falje dhe tani jemi të lumtur bashkë dhe presim fëmijën tonë të parë. Dua të falënderoj Dr. Ellen për ndihmën e tij të madhe. Nëse keni nevojë për ndihmën e tij, mund ta kontaktoni edhe në emailin e tij. mail: ellenspellcaster@gmail.com ose whatsapp +2349074881619

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unë e ndaj këtë dëshmi me partnerët që janë në vështirësi në marrëdhëniet e tyre sepse ka një zgjidhje të qëndrueshme. Burri im më la mua dhe 2 fëmijët tanë për një grua tjetër për 3 vjet. U përpoqa të jem e fortë vetëm për fëmijët e mi, por nuk mund ta kontrolloja dhimbjen që më mundonte zemrën. Isha i lënduar dhe i hutuar. Unë kisha nevojë për ndihmë, kështu që bëra disa kërkime në internet dhe hasa në një faqe interneti ku pashë se Dr. Ediomo, një magjistar, mund t'ju ndihmojë të ktheheni të dashuruarit. E kontaktova dhe ajo tha një lutje të veçantë dhe magji për mua. Për habinë time, pas 2 ditësh burri im u kthye në shtëpi. Kështu u mblodhëm dhe kishte shumë dashuri, gëzim dhe paqe në familje. Ju gjithashtu mund të kontaktoni Dr. Ediomo, një asistent i fuqishëm zgjidhjesh
    1) rifitoni ish të dashurin tuaj
    2) Bashkoni burrin dhe gruan
    3) ndaloni përsëritjen e maktheve
    4) Kurë bimore për HIV dhe kancerin
    5) Unazë e fuqishme magjike
    6) bukuri fati
    7) Thyerja e obsesioneve
    8) Problemet me lindjen dhe shtatzëninë Kontaktoni me EMAIL: drediomoomiri@gmail.com Ju gjithashtu mund të Whatsapp +2349035797456

    ReplyDelete